Monday, February 16, 2009

Digital Natives, Digital Immigrants: Marc Prensky

I really enjoyed the writers perspective on how the public education system has actually not been changing. I find it interesting to think that our students are out growing education so rapidly. The writer believes that the school just can not keep up to pace, and therefore, it appears that the education system is failing us. I always felt like the education I got was crappy, but it really wasn't. It just couldn't keep up with the intelligence of my class. It's reassuring knowing that our society is actually growing, and quite rapidly, in an area we thought was falling apart.

"In geography – which is all but ignored these days – there is no reason that a generation that can memorize over 100 Pokémon characters with all their characteristics, history and evolution can‟t learn the names, populations, capitals and relationships of all the 101 nations in the world. It just depends on how it is presented. "

We also have to familiarize ourselves with how our youth is learning. We have to pay attention to what they learn the greatest from, and currently it happens to be electronics. TV, video games and computers have never had such an effect on our youth. We need to tend to their needs and remain familiar with their interests.

I strongly agree with all of this writers points. I feel that the writer spoke too much in his own voice. I believe personality should come through with shorter articles, compared to 5+ pgs. I found the same attitude a bit annoying after 2 pages.

1 comment:

  1. Glad Prensky reached you... look over the format for posting Talking Points in the syllabus just so you can get in a little deeper on the text's issues.

    ReplyDelete