Sunday, March 22, 2009

Hip-Hop Wars: Tricia Rose

I am really torn between sides. I believe that in order for you to really try to understand either side, it is important to realize how hip-hop has developed throughout the past 15 years. Both its motive and intentions have entirely changed. It's important to realize where we are right now in our society, in terms of financial and political drama. It's important to compare issues then, to issues now.

When I say that I am torn between sides, I mean that part of me is disgusted by the fact that 90% of the songs involve violence of some sort, and the idea that we have become quite a violent society. I think it's wrong to point a finger at the hip-hop industry and blame our youth issues on their content.
"I think it is disingenuous because they know that this isn't just about turning off one song. You would have to turn off all commercial black radio. You'd have to shut down all of your children's and your own investment in MTV, BET, VH1. You would basically have to unplug from society as a whole. So they know this is not going to happen. They know you're not going to do it because that means rejecting the entire system, not just a given artist."

Tricia Rose entirely recognizes this issue and I believe she perfectly states the 'problem'. For me, 'the entire system' extends beyond music. It's in the depths of our media, classrooms and households.

I honestly never listen to the radio. I feel that I've developed some kind of 6th sense when it comes to people trying to influence me; so I avoid influence at all costs. I barely even watch TV. The hip-hop I do listen to, well yeah it involves some violence. I do not personally relate to most of it, but I have learned to respect the artists voice. People typically tend to like a song based on how it sounds, which is something that should be taken into consideration, not just what it's about. But then - that's getting back into the hip-hop wars. I do not want to exclude those who listen to a violent song for the violent lyrics.

I feel that I clearly understood everything that was portrayed in this interview. I would like to hear more from Tricia Rose about her views on the hip-hop wars. For me, hearing her speak and reading her interview clarified how I feel about hip-hop.

No comments:

Post a Comment