Sunday, March 22, 2009

Fast Forward: Laura Greenfield

When I was younger I always felt that growing up quick was the only way I would be both respected and tolerated. I have always felt incredibly influenced to be older than I am, and still subconsciously feel that way. I really enjoyed reading Laura Greenfield's artist statement. I connected with how she felt about the idea behind her photos to be a growing process. I especially like how she noted the differences between areas. I spent the last 3 weeks in Utah, and my idea of 'the obnoxious teenager' was entirely different from what that area may portray it as. Looking for something to photograph involved a different kind of approach.

I love Greenfields' photos. All of them. You could seriously write a book about each photograph. Her photographs prove not only that we are all influenced from such a young age, but also how it follows us. Influence is constantly lingering. Greenfield photographed all kinds of people at many different ages, with many different ethnicities and social upbringings.
In recent years, I photographed “Fast Forward” youth in Milan and Shanghai. The young and privileged in Shanghai don’t care about politics or communism but are obsessed with MTV, Fashion TV, Gucci, and L.V. (Louis Vuitton). Milanese youth don cutting edge hip-hop fashion originated by the inner city and perfected by haute couture designers. Fourteen-year old Italian girls wear thongs deliberately hiked up over their low-riding pants and rip revealing holes in their jeans. They go out to discos on school nights and dance to American hip-hop and electronica until dawn.

Tonight I went out to take more pictures for my photo project. I don't think I realized how intense geographical differences can be, when it comes to influence. I guess that can be what I don't understand. I would like to learn more about that. I really would love to travel more and come to more realizations. I find it comforting!

No comments:

Post a Comment